TAG is teaming again with the Georgia Food Bank Association in 2019 to engage Georgia’s technology and startup community in the fight against hunger through Bytes for Bites, a friendly food and fund drive competition to benefit Georgia's regional Food Banks.
For two weeks, tech companies, startups, co-working spaces, and IT departments across the state will compete to raise the most food and funds for their regional food bank. For every dollar raised during the competition, a company earns 4 points ($1=4 Points). For every pound of food raised, a company earns 1 point (1 Pound = 1 Point), with various opportunities for bonus points. Awards are also given based on points per employee, so any size company can be competitive!
Scroll down for the Bytes for Bites timeline and information on registration, scoring, collecting food and funds, and delivering your donations.
May 1 – June 21: Registration is OPEN! Register by June 1st to receive 100 Bonus Points
June 10 – 21: BYTES FOR BITES COMPETITION! Only food and funds raised during this time count towards the competition.
June 21: Submit your End of Campaign Form deadline
June 25: Last day to get food and fund donations to your Food Bank!
July 19: Winners Announced & Recognized at TAG Day of Service
- Tech Companies and IT Departments can register here.
- If you sign up by June 1st, you get 100 bonus points!
- The “Captain” listed should be the designated contact person at your company. They will receive all competition related communications and it is up to them to share the information with their colleagues.
- List your company name as you would like it on materials.
- When you sign up, include the total number of employees in your company. If you are a participating IT Department, you should only count the number of employees in the department, not the entire company.
- Companies with multiple office locations in Georgia should sign up individually so that we can connect them with the correct Food Bank. They should only list the number of employees in their specific office. At the end of the competition, the totals from all of the offices will be aggregated and the company will compete as a single entity for the awards.
- $1=4 points. 1 pound of food = 1 point. AKA money is gold in this competition!
- There are multiple BONUS POINTS opportunities:
- EARLY BIRD BONUS: Register by June 1 for 100 Bonus Points!
- VOLUNTEER BONUS: Companies that volunteer at their regional Food Bank between May 1 and June 21 will receive 100 bonus points added to their total score.
- SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: Post about the competition on your company’s social media platforms using the hashtag #Bytes4Bites and tagging the Georgia Food Bank Association between June 1- June 21 for a one-time Bonus of 100 Points!
- VIDEO BONUS: Have an executive level employee create video promoting the competition or issuing a challenge to other companies for 500 bonus points!
- END OF CAMPAIGN FORM BONUS: Complete the form on June 21 for 100 points.
- REFERRAL BONUS: Receive 100 bonus points for every firm or company that you refer to the competition who did not compete last year. They must actually raise or food or funds during the competition in order to count.
- DELIVERY BONUS: Deliver your donations the week following the competition by June 15 directly to your regional food bank for a 25% bonus to your total competition points. You need to do this to stay competitive! Online donations count as delivered.
- Two TAG Cups are awarded. One to the company with the most total points and one to the company with the most points per employee.
COLLECTING FOOD & FUNDS
The competition is June 10-21, 2019. ALL fundraising and food collection must take place during this period. Any money or food collected before or after these dates will not count toward your total, unless it is a specially sanctioned event.
- Contributions of money are tax-deductible and are very welcome.
- Online donations can be made at the donation link listed on page 1. Again, make sure you indicate which company it is on behalf and that it is for B4B.
- Checks should be made payable to your regional Food Bank, as listed on page 1. Make sure to indicate on the for line that the check is for the Bytes for Bites competition and which company you are contributing for!
- Capital Campaign gifts will NOT be counted towards your competition totals.
Collecting Non-Perishable Food:
- Food items will be weighed by your regional Food Bank at the end of the campaign.
- Most needed food items are Peanut Butter, Canned Tuna, Canned Beans, Canned Soups, Stews, Pastas, 100% Fruit Juice, Canned Fruits, Vegetables, Macaroni and Cheese Dinners, Whole Grains, Low Sugar Cereals (boxed).
- Candy will not be counted.
- Please don’t donate food items in glass containers – they have a high risk of breaking.
- Please do not open items that are already packed in cases, cartons, or boxes. This will make it easier for the Food Bank to pick up.
DELIVERING FOOD & FUNDS TO YOUR FOOD BANK
- On Friday, June 21st, fill out the online “End of Campaign” form for your regional Food Bank.
- All donations must be delivered to or picked by your Food Bank by June 28th to count in your competition totals.
- If a company delivers all food and monetary contributions to their regional food bank the company will receive a 25% bonus of tabulated points! Online donations count as "delivered.”
- If you want your food donations to be picked up, you must notify the Food Bank of the approximate amount of food you have collected on the end of campaign form in order for the transportation department to prepare properly. Your Food Bank may not pick it up if it is under a certain amount.
If your company only has a monetary contribution and wants it to be picked up, this must be communicated at the time your pick-up date is assigned so the Food Bank can send the appropriate vehicle to your company.